iCloud has been an all-in-one solution to back up your iPhone and keep the data secure. However, the rising data needs have made this a bit difficult— imagine using an Apple device with 64 or 128 GB space, and you’re only allotted 5GB free iCloud storage to back up the data. You’ll find your free iCloud storage full in no time.
The good news is that you can always delete iCloud backup to create space for the new ones. Wondering how to delete old backups on iCloud? In this guide, we have listed all the methods to delete and manage iCloud backups so that you won’t have to keep the old data hanging around in your iCloud account. Let’s get started:
Part 1: When Can You Delete Old Backups on iCloud?
If you’re an Apple user, backing up your data to iCloud is the life savior for you. But what if the iCloud storage is full and you cannot back up the data anymore? Of course, you can delete the old backups from iCloud and create room for the new ones.
However, you have to back up your iPhone to the computer first. Or you may end up losing your important data. Wondering how to backup your iPhone to a PC?
We recommend using the Wondershare Mobiletrans to backup your iPhone’s data to your PC before deleting all the old backups from iCloud. Here’s the best part: you can backup contacts, images, videos, call history, voice memos, music, apps, and many more with just a few clicks.
Backup iPhone to PC for Free!
- • Backup 18+ important data on your mobile device to a computer with one click.
- • Backup WhatsApp and 5 more app data to the computer.
- • The backup feature is free to use.
- • Supports 6000+ mobile devices.
- • Fully compatible with Windows 11 or Mac 12.
- • Fully compatible with iOS 15 and Android 12.
Here’s a step-by-step guide to backup data to a PC via Mobiletrans:
- Launch Wondershare Mobiletrans and connect your iPhone device, which you want to backup to your PC.
- Click on the Backup and Restore tab and choose a Backup from the Phone Backup and Restore
- From the next screen, you can select the data type you want to back up to the PC. Choose the data type and click on the Start The data will be backed up in a few minutes.
Now you can sit back and wait for the backup process to be finished. After that, you can begin deleting iPhone backups on iCloud. To avoid any possible data loss, we'd suggest you back up with MobileTrans first.
Part 2: Delete iCloud Backup on Your iPhone
Apple offers only 5GB of free iCloud storage to its users and anyone who regularly backups the data from iPhone to iCloud needs to buy the storage on the monthly or yearly plan. However, if you’re using the free iCloud storage option and the space is full, you must delete the old backups to clear storage for the new ones. Here’s a step-by-step guide on deleting iPhone backups via iPhone:
- Go to Settings of your iPhone device and tap on the Apple ID name.
- Tap on the iCloud to open the settings for your iCloud account.
- Once you tap the iCloud, you’ll be able to see the storage taken by the backups on your iCloud. Go on Manage Storage>Backups to delete or manage the iCloud backups.
- From here, you can find all the devices linked to your iCloud account. You can tap on any device you wish to delete the backup! Tap on Delete Backup, and you’re done.
Note: A warning will be prompted on the screen. Choose Turn Off and Delete.
Part 3: Delete Backups on iCloud via Computer
Whenever you backup your iPhone or iOS device to iCloud, the old backup automatically gets replaced with the new one. However, if you connect the iCloud to your new iOS device, the backup file for the old iOS device will still be hanging around in your iCloud. Worry no more! You can always delete the backup on iCloud via PC. Here’s how to delete old backups on iCloud via PC.
Delete iCloud Backups on Mac
- Click on the Apple icon and go to System Preferences on your Mac.
- Click on your Apple ID and choose the iCloud option from the side menu. The iCloud storage will be in front of you. Click on Manage to delete old backups.
- Click on Backups and then select any backup that you wish to delete. After selecting the backup, click on Delete.
Note: All the backups will be displayed in the right pane with the date and time.
Delete iCloud Backups on Windows PC
- Go to Apple’s official website and download the iCloud app for Windows.
- Once installed, launch the iCloud for Windows and sign in with your credentials.
- Click on the Storage to manage the iCloud backups. From the storage settings, click on Backups and select the backup you wish to delete. Click on Delete, and you’re done.
Part 4: How to Delete iPhone Backup via iTunes
Apple users have iTunes, making it easier to do plenty of tasks. iTunes also lets you back up the iOS device on Mac and manage or delete the backups whenever you want. Want to know how to remove backups from iCloud via iTunes? Let’s get started:
- Open iTunes on your Mac.
- Click on Preferences and then Devices.
- From this screen, you can see the backups for your devices. Choose any backup that you wish to delete. Click on Delete and then Click on Delete Backup when asked and then confirm.
iCloud backups can be a life savior if you never want to lose contacts, important pictures, videos, or documents. However, with only 5GB of free iCloud storage, you cannot afford to have the old backup files from your old iOS devices. Your iCloud account might be linked to multiple iOS devices— thus, you can always delete the backups of irrelevant/old devices whenever you want. You can delete the backups from iCloud using your iPhone, PC, or iTunes.
However, we recommend using Wondershare Mobiletrans to backup your iPhone device to your PC before wiping out all the old backups from iCloud.