WhatsApp has been the most convenient instant messaging app in the past few years, but users have complained about privacy exposure.
Therefore, more users are wondering how to turn off their online status on WhatsApp? There are many ways to hide your appearance on the app, but this article will only cover the practical and easy methods. Let's get started:
Part 1: What is WhatsApp Status
There are two different WhatsApp statuses regarding the appearance, i.e., Online or Last Seen. What do both these statuses depict?
- Online Status: If someone's status appears online in the chat, the person is currently using the application.
- Last Seen Status: If the chat is showing the status as "Last seen at XXX," it means that the person is currently not using the app and was online at that particular time.
Part 2: How to Hide Your Online Status
Users have more privacy on WhatsApp regarding the message sent, seen, and last seen status; this can even give a false impression to your friends and family. Therefore, it's high time that you must go invisible on WhatsApp and let no one know where and when you were online on the application.
One simple solution is to turn on the Airplane mode before checking the messages on the app. Here's how to do it:
- Step 1:Turn on the Airplane mode from the device's settings.
- Step 2:Open WhatsApp to read the messages and reply (if you want).
- Step 3:Turn off the Airplane mode after leaving the application.
Part 3: Turn off Online Status WhatsApp on Mobile Devices
You can turn off the online status if you don't want that struggle every time to turn on and off the airplane mode before checking the WhatsApp messages. So you were looking for ways to turn off active status on WhatsApp? Let's find out!
Method 1: Turn off Online Status WhatsApp on iPhone
Many of you might wonder how to turn off online status in WhatsApp on iPhone— it's not as complicated as it seems. Here's a step-by-step guide to do it:
- Step 1:Open WhatsApp on an iPhone device.
- Step 2:Tap on Settings from the bottom-right corner.
- Step 3:Tap on Account to access different settings.
- Step 4:Go to Privacy and then tap on Last Seen to change the status.
- Step 5:You can choose from the three available options: Everyone, My Contacts, or Nobody for the Online and Last Seen status.
Method 2: How to Turn off WhatsApp Online Status on Android
Hiding your Online or Last Seen status on Android is as easy as on iPhone. All you need to do is access the privacy settings from WhatsApp and choose the desired option from the list. Here is how to turn off WhatsApp online status on android devices:
- Step 1:Open WhatsApp on your Android device.
- Step 2:To access the Settings, tap on the three vertical dots button from the upper-right corner.
- Step 3:Tap on Account and then Privacy to alter the last seen, profile photo, status, and about, and read receipts settings.
- Step 4:Select the Last Seen from the Privacy section, which is set on Everyone by default. You can change it to My Contacts or Nobody as per need.
Part 4: How to Turn off Active Status on WhatsApp Web
WhatsApp Web will not display all the options on Android or iPhone devices. For example, WhatsApp Web will not allow you to turn off the active status, but there are still some ways to do it. So, you are wondering how to turn off active status on WhatsApp Web? Let's find out!
As mentioned earlier, there is no such option in the official WhatsApp application to hide or turn off the active status, but some third-party apps and chrome extensions do that. These apps or extensions will help you turn off the active status, last seen updates, and read receipts on WhatsApp.
- Step 1:Go to Chrome Web Store and type WAIncogito in the search bar.
- Step 2:Click on Add to Chrome to download and install the extension.
- Step 3:Open WhatsApp Web and click on the extension WAIncogito. Tick the Don't Send Last Seen Updates box to hide or turn off the status.
Bonus: How to Manage Your WhatsApp Data
According to the survey, WhatsApp has acquired more than two billion users, and the number is still increasing with each passing day.
However, communicating with your friends, family, colleagues, and employees through WhatsApp has created a concern what if someone suddenly loses WhatsApp data (chat history, documents, groups, etc.)?
There are several ways to back up the WhatsApp data. You can either back up to the cloud server or manually transfer the data to the PC. But will these methods work for everyone? The answer is No! These methods have a few drawbacks, such as limited cloud storage or the long time to copy files manually.
Worry not! We recommend using Wondershare MobileTrans to store, transfer, backup, and restore the WhatsApp data, including chats, groups, documents, and other media types. What's best is that you can export the WhatsApp messages as PDF/HTML files.
Transfer WhatsApp from phone to phone With a few Clicks!
- • Transfer WhatsApp chat history, images, videos, emojis, and attachments from phone to phone.
- • Support transferring from Android to iPhone, iPhone to Android, Android to Android and iPhone to iPhone.
- • Backup WhatsApp to computer and restore to another device when you need.
- • Support other social apps including WhatsApp Business, Viber, Line, Wechat and Kik.
Features of Wonderhsare MobileTrans
A few more options will help you keep WhatsApp data safe and secure. Let's find out:
1. Transfer WhatsApp between Phones
Have you recently bought a new phone and are concerned about the data? Worry no more! You can transfer WhatsApp data, including chat history, images, videos, and more, from Android to iOS and vice versa in no time. MobileTrans has a WhatsApp Transfer feature to achieve that in a single click.
2. Backup WhatsApp to Computer for Free
Backing data to cloud storage has always been an option in everyone's mind, but there are some drawbacks. The limited storage and unavailability of internet connectivity might lead to problems. You can backup WhatsApp data from a smartphone (iOS or Android) to a PC for free with MobileTrans.
3. Save Your WhatsApp Chats with Loved Ones
Want to keep the chat history safe and secure? You can export the chats to PDF/HTML files via Wondershare MobileTrans.
4. Delete Messages Accidentally? - Recover deleted WhatsApp Data [Android]
Lost your mobile phone or deleted messages accidentally? You can restore deleted WhatsApp data anytime via the MobileTrans.
Are you wondering how to turn off online WhatsApp status? The method to hide the last seen or online status is simple for Android and iPhone users. You can access the privacy settings from the application and set the audience. We recommend using Wondershare MobileTrans to keep the WhatsApp data safe and secure.