Smart Switch iOS to Android: A Tutorial Guide
Written By Navkiran Dhaliwal | May 11,2021
Use the Smart Switch app to transfer all your data from iOS to Android. Samsung Smart Switch iOS to android app lets you transfer your photos, messages, contacts, files, and other important data to the new device. What is more, you can even transfer device settings, allowing you to pick up the newly bought device and carry on exactly where you left off.
You can even create the full backup for files in the old phone on your Mac and PC. Following this, you can transfer or sync your important data onto the new Samsung Galaxy smartphone. Smart Switch app lets you transfer files between smartphones, between tablets, and between a smartphone and a tablet.
Whether you are upgrading from an iPhone or an older Samsung smartphone, the Smart Switch app works well. Even if your old mobile device is not a Samsung Galaxy or Note Series phone, you can transfer data to the new Galaxy phone using a USB cable, Wi-Fi or computer.
Devices that support Smart Switch app
As of now, the Smart Switch app is compatible with the following Samsung devices:
- Galaxy S20 series
- Galaxy Z Flip
- Note10, 10+
- Samsung S10 series
- Galaxy Note 8 and later
- Samsung S7 series and later
Part 1: Smart Switch Introduction
As mentioned above, Smart Switch is a Samsung app that you can use to transfer data from iOS to Samsung mobile devices. It makes it a breeze to move from iPhones to Galaxy/Note or between Galaxy/Note devices. The desktop app requires you to make some settings. However, the entire process is a quite straightforward process and easy.
Moving ahead in this post, you will learn to use Smart Switch iOS to Android. Before that, it is worth exploring the features of the app and its pros & cons.
So, let’s get started:
Requirements for using Smart Switch on Mac and PC
To use this app, your computer system must meet all of the following requirements:
If you are using a PC:
- OS (Operating System) version: Windows XP SP3 and above
- CPU requirements: Intel Pentium 1.8GHz processor or above
- RAM needed: 1.00GB (recommended)
- Required free hard drive space: Minimum 500MB (recommended)
- Desired screen resolution: 1024 X 768 (600), 32 it or up
- Needed software: Windows Media Player 11 or above
If you are using a MAC device:
- OS: Mac OS X 10.5 and above
- CPU requirements: 1.8Hz processor or up
- RAM needed: 512MB
- Required free hard drive space: At least 512MB
It is important to note here that these are just the minimum requirements to set up Smart Switch. The total amount of free hard drive space needed depends on the amount of data you want to transfer.
Type of content you can transfer
The type of content you can transfer using Smart Switch depends on the device you use. When you are transferring the data, you will get an option to select the types of content to be transferred.
But, although the Smart Switch app makes transferring your data quite easy, there are certain types of data you can't transfer using it. This includes the following:
- Any encrypted or secure data such as WhatsApp chats.
- There are many apps that need you to sign in using a username and password. Such apps store data on their own servers. You have to ensure that you have taken the backup or stored your data before logging into apps on your newly bought smartphone.
- Any app that you did not download from the Play Store will have to be downloaded manually on the new device.
- The app may not be transferred login credentials to some particular apps, for example, mobile banking apps. You must have your login credentials for all apps that you want to use on the new phone.
- The Apple App Store and the Google Play Store are two separate platforms. Each has a different collection of apps and games. If you are sending data from an iOS device, the app tries to download an Android alternative for all your applications. If no Android alternative exists, it won't be transferred.
- Any content with Digital Rights Management (DRM) cannot be moved to the new device using Smart Switch.
- Easily transfer your data
- Quickly start using your new phone
- Some data can’t be transferred.
Part 2: Steps about Smart Switch iOS to Android
If you have not installed the Smart Switch app on your device, first install it:
Step 1: Install the Smart Switch app on your device.
- Go to the smart switch official website.
- Click on the download button for launching the downloaded .dmg file (.exe on Windows). You may require configuring Security and Privacy settings on your macOS System Resources. This will allow apps from App Store and recognized developers. In this case, you will have to restart your Mac after permissions granting.
- Now, double-click on the SmartSwitchMac.pkg file.
- Read all information on the security pop-ups and click Continue. Click I Agree when the dialogue box appears for the Agreement to Collect and Use.
- Keep following the system installation prompts. Next, open the Smart Switch app and agree to the usage terms.
Step 2: Switch from iPhone to Android with Smart Switch
- Update the software of your iPhone as much as you can.
- Open iCloud on your Apple Smartphone, and then back up your data to the cloud.
- Open the installed Smart Switch app on your new Galaxy phone.
- You will get a step-by-step instruction process. Simply follow this process, and the app will import all data.
- Read carefully and agree to all given terms and conditions.
- Tap Receive data.
- Finally, select iPhone/iPad.
- A cable connection will serve you the best. However, if you can't, you can do the same process wirelessly too.
- Now, click on Get data from iCloud instead. Then, log into your iCloud account.
- Once you are logged in, click on Import to start the transfer.
Part 3: Best alternative of Smart Switch
s mentioned above, there are certain types of data that you can’t transfer using Smart Switch. Fortunately, there are alternative apps to overcome this issue. And, one such alternative is MobileTrans!
What is MobileTrans?
MobileTrans is one of the most popular desktop applications released by Wondershare. Using this tool, you can transfer data between multiple-branded tablets and smartphones.
Using this desktop software, you can transfer contacts between iPhone and Android. You can also send other types of data, such as messages, songs, apps, photos, videos, etc. It is compatible with thousands of Android and iOS devices and also works with Windows phones.
Features of MobileTrans
Some of the top features of MobileTrans include the following:
- Compatible with 8000+ Devices:
- Easily Accessible: MobileTrans app makes the whole process simpler. It takes just a few clicks to transfer your data from iPhone to Android safely and securely.
- WhatsApp Transfer: With MobileTrans, you can quickly transfer your WhatsApp from iPhone to your new Android device. The tool also backs up your WhatsApp data to your computer and stores your chat history safely. When you want to restore your messages or chat history, simply click on Restore the WhatsApp backup to your new device.
- Backup from Phone to Computer: You can use this intuitive app to back up Android and iOS devices to your computer system. In addition, you can select the type of data you want to backup on a PC or Mac, depending on your preferences.
- Restore a Backup to Mobile Devices: Whenever you want to back up your Android or iPhone data With MobileTrans, you can restore it later from the computer to your phone. In the process, your data won't get overwritten. In addition, the app lets you restore backups to your mobile devices from iTunes without resetting.
Steps to Transfer Data from iPhone to Android
Step 1: First, download and install MobileTrans on your computer or Mac. Next, launch the app to view all your available options. Tap on the "Phone Transfer" option.
Step 2: Connect iPhone and Android with your computer to check the available files you have to transfer. You can see these files in the interface's middle. Once you have selected the file, click on the "Start" button.
It is important to note that source devices will be left to the interface, and the destination will appear on the right. Use the “Flip” button to change these devices.
Step 3: Based on the data size, the entire process will be finished in some time. View transferred data on your Android device. Just make sure you do not disconnect both devices while the process is running.
As you see, Smart Switch enables you to transfer data from iPhone and Android easily. In case the app does not work well with some data or files, you can rely on MobileTrans. This WonderShare desktop app lets you transfer any kind of data from iPhone to Android and vice-versa.