As a reader recently asked us this query about deleting WhatsApp backup, I realized that this is quite a common issue that is faced by many. If you also own an Android device, then you might be familiar with its dedicated solution to backup WhatsApp chats on Google Drive. While Google might not allow us to access the saved backup, we can nevertheless delete it from the Drive. In this post, I will teach you how to delete WhatsApp backup from Google Drive in a stepwise manner.
Part 1: Backup your WhatsApp with MobileTrans Backup & Restore
Before we discuss how to delete WhatsApp backup, it is vital to throw some light on the issues faced by users. If you use Google Drive, then you won’t be able to readily access your backup on the computer, which is its major limitation. In order to overcome this and take an extensive backup of your WhatsApp chats, you can try MobileTrans - Backup & Restore. It can take an entire backup of your WhatsApp data to the local storage, allowing us to later restore it to any device of our choice.
Easy to Backup to PC for Free!
- • Backup and restore data on your device to a computer with one click.
- • Easily restore photos, videos, calendar, contacts, messages and music from iTunes to iPhone/iPad.
- • Takes less than 10 minutes to finish.
- • Fully compatible with major providers like AT&T, Verizon, Sprint and T-Mobile.
- • Fully compatible with Windows 11 or Mac 10.15.
- • Fully compatible with iOS 15 and Android 10.0.
To learn how to backup (and restore) WhatsApp data using MobileTrans WhatsApp Transfer, the following steps can be taken:
Step 1: Select the WhatsApp Backup option
Firstly, go to the official website of MobileTrans and install it on your computer. Also, using a working USB cable, connect your phone to the system and launch the application. After launching it, select the WhatsApp feature, and choose to backup your WhatsApp data.
Step 2: Take WhatsApp backup on the computer
After when your device gets detected, it will automatically be displayed on the interface with the data types it can backup. Just click on the “Start” button to commence things.
Android users now need to go to their WhatsApp’s Settings > Chats > Chat Backup and tap on the “Back Up” button. This will take the backup of your WhatsApp chats on the local storage.
Once the backup process is completed, reinstall WhatsApp on your device, and restore the existing backup from the local storage.
Step 3: Complete the backup process
The application will automatically start taking the backup of your data and would save it on the local computer. Kindly be patient and only disconnect your device from the computer once you get the following prompt on the screen.
Step 4: Restore an existing backup (optional)
If you want, you can also take the assistance of MobileTrans WhatsApp Transfer to restore the backup content to the same or any other device. All you got to do is connect your device to the computer, launch MobileTrans, and select the option to restore your WhatsApp data. This will provide a list of the saved backup files, so that you can select the file of your choice and extract its data to the connected device.
Part 2: How to Delete WhatsApp Backup from Google Drive
If you have an Android device, then you can just maintain your WhatsApp backup on Google Drive. The good thing is that Google recently announced that it will no longer count WhatsApp backup under the Google Drive usage limit. Therefore, you can easily take a backup of your WhatsApp chats on Google Drive without falling short of space on it. Nevertheless, there are times when users wish to delete the saved backup due to unwanted issues or security concerns with the app or the backup feature. To learn how to delete WhatsApp backup from Google Drive, the following steps can be taken:
- Firstly, go to the official website of Google Drive on the desktop and log-in to the same Google account that is linked to your WhatsApp.
- Once the Google Drive interface is opened, just click on the gear icon at the top-right corner and from here, visit its Settings.
- This will launch a dedicated section of Google Drive settings on the browser. Now, go to the “Managing Apps” section from the sidebar to view all the related apps on the right.
- Find WhatsApp here and click on its “Options” tab. From here, just select the feature to delete hidden app data (which includes its saved backup).
- As a pop-up warning would be displayed, just click on the “Delete” button again to confirm your choice and get rid of the saved WhatsApp backup from Google Drive.
There you go! I’m sure that after reading this guide, you would be able to learn how to delete WhatsApp backup from Gmail. As you can see, it can be a bit complicated to manage WhatsApp data on Google Drive. That is why users often consider trying an alternative like MobileTrans that can directly save your WhatsApp data to a computer. Later, you can even restore its backup to the same or any other device as well. Go ahead and give this remarkable tool a try and share this guide with others to teach them how to delete WhatsApp backup in a jiffy.