WhatsApp Local Backup：An Ultimate Guide
Written By Nicola Massimo | Dec 06,2019
This is a query posted by a concerned WhatsApp user who wanted to restore a WhatsApp local backup. Chances are that you might be having a similar query regarding WhatsApp local backup as well.
While WhatsApp lets us maintain a dedicated backup on Google Drive (or iCloud), it also takes a local backup of the data. If you have an Android, then you can easily access its database using any file explorer. In this smart guide, I will tell you how to manage a WhatsApp local backup and restore it like a pro.
Part One: How to Take Local Backup on WhatsApp?
Being one of the most popular social apps out there, WhatsApp lets us take a local backup of our chats or even save it on the Drive. The local backup would be saved in the form of an encrypted file. If you want, you can restore WhatsApp local backup to the same or any other device using the backup file. The good news is that WhatsApp automatically takes a backup on the local storage daily. The default time for this is 0200 hours (2 a.m.) when the device usage is minimum.
Therefore, WhatsApp would automatically save your backup on the local device storage every night. It will store the backup of the last 7 days for our convenience and would automatically delete old backup files.
- If you want to take an immediate backup of your WhatsApp, then just launch the app and go to its settings by tapping on the three-dot (hamburger) icon at the top.
- In WhatsApp settings, browse to Chats > Chat Backup and tap on the "Back Up" button to take and immediate backup on Google Drive.
- When you take a backup of WhatsApp on Google drive, a copy is automatically saved on the local storage.
Part Two: How to Restore WhatsApp from its Local Backup?
Once you have maintained a WhatsApp local backup, you can easily restore it (or even move it) as per your convenience. Though, in order to restore WhatsApp from local backup, you need to first identify its location. Later, you can just rename the backup and reinstall WhatsApp. Sounds confusing? Don’t worry – you can easily learn how to restore WhatsApp local backup by following these easy steps:
- After taking a WhatsApp backup on the local storage, you can access it by launching any File Explorer or File Manager app on the device.
- Browse all the way to your Device Storage > WhatsApp > Databases or SD Card > WhatsApp > Databases, according to where the backup is saved.
- Here, you can view the local WhatsApp backup of the last 7 days in the “msgstore-YYYY-MM-DD.1.db” format. Simply select any backup file from here and go its more options to rename it as “msgstore.db” by removing the respective date from the file name.
- If you are already using WhatsApp, then just remove it from your phone, and go to the Play Store to install it again.
- Now, launch WhatsApp and enter your existing phone number to start with. In no time, the application will automatically detect the presence of an existing backup. Just tap on the “Restore” button and wait for a while as the application would retrieve the saved data from its backup.
Part Three: How to Delete a WhatsApp Local Backup?
A lot of users choose to delete an existing WhatsApp local backup. For instance, your device might be running low on free space or you could be concerned about your privacy. Since WhatsApp maintains a local backup daily, you need to do this more often to make more free space on your phone.
- Firstly, unlock your device and launch any file explorer app to access its SD card or internal device storage (depending on where the WhatsApp backup if stored).
- Simply browse to the WhatsApp > Databases folder here to view the last 7 local backups stored.
- Select the backup file you wish to get rid of and tap on the more options icon (the three-dot icon).
- From the provided options, tap on “Delete” or the trash icon and confirm your choice to get rid of the WhatsApp backup.
Recommended Solution: How to Backup WhatsApp to a Computer and Restore it
As you can see, the native solution to restore local WhatsApp backup can be extremely complicated. To have a one-click solution to backup your data on your computer instead, take the assistance of MobileTrans - WhatsApp Transfer. The app supports every major Android device and lets us backup, restore, or transfer our WhatsApp data. It can backup your chats, exchanged media, stickers, contacts, and the entire app data. To learn how to backup and restore WhatsApp data, follow these basic steps:
MobileTrans - WhatsApp Transfer
- • Transfer WhatsApp data between android and iOS devices.
- • Backup WhatsApp/Kik/LINE/Viber/Wechat to Computer and restore.
4,908,002 people have downloaded it
Take WhatsApp Backup to Computer
- Install and launch the application and from the home screen of MobileTrans, select the “WhatsApp Transfer” field.
- Connect your phone to the system using a working cable and from the provided options, select “Backup WhatsApp Messages”.
- In no time, the application would take an entire backup of your WhatsApp data and would save it on the computer instead.
- Once the backup process is completed, you would be notified. You can now remove your device or just view the recent backup data.
Restore WhatsApp Backup from Computer to your Phone
- To restore your backup, just connect your phone and make sure the same account is used to install WhatsApp on it. From the main screen of the interface, choose the option "restore to device".
- A list of all the existing backup files with their details would be listed. Just select the file of your choice to proceed.
- Just click on the “start” button.
- In no time, the application would automatically restore the selected backup to your device that you can access anytime you want.
Check our video tutorial below to learn how to backup WhatsApp from phone to computer:
I’m sure that after reading this guide, you would be able to take a local WhatsApp backup or restore it afterward. As you can see, it is pretty easy to restore WhatsApp from a local backup. Though, if you want to keep your backup safe on a computer, then take the assistance of MobileTrans - WhatsApp Transfer instead. It is an excellent tool that can backup, restore, and transfer WhatsApp data without any trouble among different sources.