How do I Check Deleted Call Records on WhatsApp?
Written By Axel Nash | Jun 08,2021
The WhatsApp call feature usually keeps track of all the contacts approached through this platform. If you had important contacts on your WhatsApp call wall, you would not want to lose them for various future purposes. However, some events can lead to accidentally deleting these contacts. Perhaps your WhatsApp application can fail due to an unpredictable situation hence losing all the contacts. In this case, you will need to learn approaches to retrieve the deleted call records. This article provides comprehensive methods for getting back the call records to your phone if you hadn’t saved them.
Method 1: Recover Deleted WhatsApp Call History from Google Drive Backup
WhatsApp for android usually saves the chat history and call records to Google Drive as the default storage. The WhatsApp backup feature can be helpful in instances where you may lose important data, like the WhatsApp call history. However, WhatsApp users must set up Google email on the phone and choose a backup frequency to get WhatsApp data saved to Google Drive.
If you accidentally delete the WhatsApp call records from the application, you can retrieve them if you remember syncing WhatsApp with your Google account. Keep in mind that WhatsApp usually saves your content to the phone's memory every day. These backups can be taken to your Google drive depending on your settings on WhatsApp. If you have no clue how to sync your WhatsApp with Google account, the following guideline will help you achieve the task.
- Open WhatsApp on your phone and go to its settings. The three-dotted icon on the right upper side will give you access to WhatsApp settings.
- Con the following screen, click on chats, and then chat backup.
- If your phone is already synced to a Google account, it will appear under the accounts options. If not, you will be required to sign in to your Google account and then tap on it to select a storage destination for your WhatsApp backup.
- Once you choose a Google account, select the backup option to take an immediate backup to Google drive. If you want to include videos attached to WhatsApp messages into your backup file, make sure you select the option from here before you backup.
- You can also set up your preferred frequency for automatic backup under the backup to Google drive option. The options available here include daily, weekly, monthly, and you can set up a custom choice that suits you.
Your WhatsApp data will be backed up instantly to Google Drive and will be automated depending on your selected backup time. If you lose your phone or accidentally delete your WhatsApp call records, you will find them from Google drive. To achieve that, you need to follow these simple steps.
- Reinstall WhatsApp on your phone from the official platform. Ensure you don’t change the Google account and phone number you used during the backup process.
- Open the application and verify your phone number using the 6-digit codes sent to you.
- After successfully verifying the phone number, a prompt notification will appear on the screen requiring you to restore WhatsApp content from Google drive. Tap on the restore button to get back your WhatsApp data, including the call records.
- The restoration process will complete and all chats and call records will display over the phone.
Method 2: Restore Deleted WhatsApp Call History from Local Backup
You can get your WhatsApp call records from the local backup on your phone memory. Ideally, WhatsApp comes with a backup feature that saves your content to the local storage every day. If you lose the call records, you don’t have to worry because you can just restore from the existing local WhatsApp backup.
You can as well back up your WhatsApp data to the phone storage using the following approach;
- Open the WhatsApp application and visit the settings panel by tapping the three-dotted icon on the top right side. Go to chats>chats backup and then select the backup button. The action will make an immediate backup. Do not bother setting up the accounts feature since you only need to copy your backup on the local storage.
- When it comes to retrieving the deleted WhatsApp call records, you need to access the local backup from your phone memory or SD card, depending on where you saved the WhatsApp backup file. Here are simple steps to restore from the local backup.
- Open the file manager application on your phone to browse the local storage or the SD card.
- Locate the folder named WhatsApp. Further, open the databases folder to find the WhatsApp backup files you saved.
- Find the recent backup file and rename it by eliminating the dates for easy accessibility during the restoration process. Choose the file that contains the dates when you received the calls or the date before you deleted your WhatsApp call records.
- The WhatsApp backup files are named as ‘msgstore-yyy-mm-dd.1.db.crypt12’. You are required to rename the file to ‘msgstore.db.crypt12’. If you already have a file with the exact name, be sure to overwrite it.
- Now uninstall WhatsApp from your phone and download another application from the Google play store for a fresh installation.
- Open the installed app and begin setting up by verifying your phone number. It will take a short moment for the application to detect a backup file available on your phone automatically.
- Tap the Restore button to initiate restoration of your WhatsApp content, including the call records. The data will be displayed on the application once the restoration process is successfully complete.
Method 3: Retrieve Deleted WhatsApp Call History from iCloud Backup (for iPhone)
ICloud is the default storage option to save WhatsApp data on iOS devices. As long as you have synced your WhatsApp with iCloud account, you can retrieve critical data in case you lose a phone or delete it accidentally. If you are looking to retrieve the WhatsApp call records you deleted unknowingly from your iPhone, use the following simple steps.
- Open the WhatsApp application on your iPhone and visit the settings panel.
- Tap on chat history and then select chat backup. Here is you will verify whether there is an iCloud backup account for the WhatsApp data.
- If the iCloud backup exists, remove the application from the phone and reinstall afresh from the App Store.
- Follow the onscreen instruction to set up your WhatsApp account by verifying your phone number.
- A prompt to restore will appear to let you get your WhatsApp data from iCloud.
Alternatively, you can restore WhatsApp data from iCloud backup if you had backed it up with iPhone settings instead of WhatsApp settings. These are the steps to let restore WhatsApp data from iCloud backup.
- Go to the Settings app on your iPhone, then visit General>Reset>Erase All content and Settings.
- Your phone will start up a fresh as it was when new. Set up the phone correctly and then go to the ‘apps and data’ screen to select the ‘restore from iCloud backup’ option.
- Log in to the iCloud account you used to backup your iPhone and choose the backup you want to start restoring.
- Ensure the phone number you used for backup and restoration are the same.
When trying to retrieve your WhatsApp call record from iCloud, events can happen and cause difficulties in data to restore. In this case, you will receive an error message indicating ‘couldn’t restore chat history. When this happens to you, you need to take actions like clicking the retry button. In some cases, you might eventually be unable to restore the WhatsApp call records. The following are solutions to let get you out of this dilemma.
- Check your phone storage to see whether you run out of space, hindering adding more WhatsApp content to the device.
- Restart our iPhone to revive your device because it might be clogging up.
- Ensure you have a stable internet connection to ensure you successfully restore WhatsApp data from iCloud storage.
- Check the version of your iPhone. Some versions may require an upgrade to a higher version to perform the restoration process and other functionalities.
- Ensure the iCloud feature is turned on from the iPhone settings before you get your WhatsApp backup. It would be best if you also synced your WhatsApp with iCloud to retrieve the backup.
- Ensure you use the same iCloud ID and phone number that you used during backup and during the restoration of WhatsApp data.
Great Tip: Backup WhatsApp data on your PC to Avoid Data Loss
WhatsApp can contain important chat history and call records that you don’t want to lose. You can be prepared in advance in case you lose your phone or delete WhatsApp data accidentally. The possible options to back up your data include Google drive for android and iCloud for iPhone. You can also transfer WhatsApp content to a computer for backup. While there are various ways to achieve that, the easiest method is to use the MobileTrans – WhatsApp transfer program.
- MobileTrans- WhatsApp transfer application guarantees safety to your WhatsApp data and does not involve complicated procedures during WhatsApp data backup or restore. Here are steps to help you create a backup of your WhatsApp data from android to pc.
- Download and install MobileTrans on your computer. Launch it and connect your android device using the appropriate USB cable.
- On the MobileTrans program interface, select the WhatsApp Transfer option from the displayed modules.
- Select WhatsApp from the left side of the screen. Go to ‘backup WhatsApp messages, click the option to allow the software to detect WhatsApp data on your phone.
- Now, click the ‘start' button to start the backup process. Wait for the software to backup your WhatsApp data. After successful completion, you will receive a notification on the screen indicating the backup process was completed successfully. You can now choose to view the WhatsApp files or click the ‘Ok’ button to end the process.