Things You Should Know About WhatsApp Disappearing Messages
Written By Axel Nash | May 18,2021
If you have been using WhatsApp, then you might be familiar with the disappearing messages feature that the app added a while back. Since WhatsApp disappearing messages are still new, a lot of people don’t know how to enable or disable it. Besides that, you might wish to take some measures to stop disappearing messages on WhatsApp. Don’t worry – in this post, I will let you know about every important thing regarding missing WhatsApp messages.
About WhatsApp Disappearing Messages.
A while back, WhatsApp has added a new “Disappearing Messages” feature that would automatically delete messages from the app. The main motive is to save the app storage of WhatsApp and make it easier for us to access our messages.
- • If the feature of Disappearing Messages on WhatsApp is enabled, then your messages would automatically be deleted after seven days.
- • You can simply turn on/off the WhatsApp disappearing messages for individual chats, but only Admins can enable/disable it for group chats.
- • Even if you have not opened the chat, the WhatsApp messages would be disappeared after 7 days (but you can view them on the notification bar).
- • Furthermore, if you have quoted the message, then you can access it even after 7 days.
If you want to stop missing WhatsApp messages then you can disable this feature, take screenshots of your chats, or simply take a backup of your data. A backup would include your messages and can restore them even after WhatsApp deletes them.
How to Enable or Disable WhatsApp Disappearing Messages?
In case WhatsApp messages have disappeared from your account, then you can check its settings and turn it off. There is a toggle feature for disappearing messages on WhatsApp that you can enable or disable whenever you want.
Enable/Disable WhatsApp Disappearing Messages on Android
Android users can just go through these simple steps to turn on or off the missing WhatsApp messages option.
- At first, just launch WhatsApp on your Android device and open the individual or group chat you wish to customize.
- Just tap on the group icon or the profile of the individual to view their contact details. Scroll down and select the “Disappearing Messages” option.
- If it is the first time you are setting up disappearing messages on WhatsApp, then you will get a prompt like this. You can learn more about WhatsApp disappearing messages or tap on the “Continue” button.
- Now, you can tap on the “On” or “Off” button to enable or disable WhatsApp disappearing messages.
After selecting the option, you can go back to the chat and view a dedicated icon for disappearing messages (if it is on).
Enable/Disable WhatsApp Disappearing Messages on iPhone
Just like Android devices, the process to set up WhatsApp disappearing messages is similar for iOS devices. While the technique is the same, the overall interface might be slightly different. You can follow these steps to turn on or off the missing WhatsApp messages feature.
- Simply launch WhatsApp on your iPhone and select the group chat or any individual conversation from the list.
- Just tap on the contact/group info option to get various features about the WhatsApp chat for the individual or group. Simply find the “Disappearing Messages” option here and tap on it.
- Once you get the information prompt about WhatsApp disappearing messages, tap on the “Continue” button.
- Now, you can just tap on the “On” or “Off” button to enable or disable the disappearing messages option on WhatsApp.
The WhatsApp disappearing messages is a newly opted feature in WhatsApp and it might not be present in your app. Therefore, you can consider visiting the WhatsApp page on Play/App Store and update the app first. This will let you access the disappearing messages feature on WhatsApp easily.
How to Backup the Disappearing Messages on WhatsApp?
If WhatsApp messages are getting disappeared on your device, then you can consider taking a backup of your data. In this way, you can easily restore an existing backup to your phone and get back the missing WhatsApp messages. For this, you can use MobileTrans – WhatsApp Transfer that provides a one-click solution to backup entire WhatsApp data.
- • Using this desktop application, you can save your WhatsApp messages, attachments, group info, voice notes, and more.
- • Since the application is super-easy to use, you can back up WhatsApp messages with a single click.
- • The application won’t overwrite your data and would maintain dedicated versions of the backup.
- • If you want, you can also use the application to later restore your message to any device of your choice (zero compatibility issues).
Here are some simple steps that you can take to backup your data with MobileTrans – WhatsApp Transfer.
Step 1: Launch the Backup application
Install the application and launch the MobileTrans toolkit. From its home, select the WhatsApp Transfer module and choose to backup your messages.
Step 2: Connect your iOS/Android device
Now, using working cables, you can connect your smartphone and let MobileTrans detect them. The interface will automatically display a snapshot of your device with a list of what it can save.
Step 3: Back up WhatsApp Data
Simply click on the “Backup” button and wait as the application would save your chats. Though, if you are using an Android device, then go to its Settings > Chats > Chat Backup and backup your chats first.
Once the backup is taken, reinstall WhatsApp and choose to restore your chats from the internal storage of your device.
Now, you can wait for a few seconds as the application would maintain a backup of your chats on the desktop. Once the process is completed, MobileTrans will inform you so that you can safely remove your device.
I’m sure that by now, you would be able to know everything about disappearing messages on WhatsApp. I have also included a stepwise guide on how to enable or disable the WhatsApp disappearing messages feature. Though, if WhatsApp messages disappeared on Android/iPhone by mistake, then use a tool like MobileTrans – WhatsApp Transfer. It will help you back up your WhatsApp data and you can even restore your chats to the device of your choice without any issue.