How to restore the old WhatsApp chat that I have skipped to restore?
Written By Axel Nash |
WhatsApp is a commonly used social messaging app in recent days. The existence of billions of users demonstrates the significant role WhatsApp plays when it comes to exchanging messages and various attachments like videos, pictures, and videos. If you have important messages on your WhatsApp, you will not want to lose them when switching your phone. This article will provide easy-to-understand guidelines on how to restore WhatsApp chats on your android and iPhone.
Part 1: Reinstall WhatsApp and restore the local backup if it is not overwritten
Besides Google Drive, WhatsApp for android usually backs up messages to the local storage on your phone. If you uninstall your WhatsApp, there still are chances of restoring the messages and photos. While restoring from Google drive can be the easiest way, you first need to backup the chats before uninstalling the app from your phone. In case you didn’t backup WhatsApp to Google Drive, the local backup file could be used to retrieve the chats when reinstalling the app. The WhatsApp local backup is usually encrypted, unlike the ones in Google Drive.
If your WhatsApp is working and you would like to prepare the most recent WhatsApp backup chats, the following guideline will help you with the process. However, it would help if you remembered that the recent backup files would overwrite the existing ones.
- Launch the WhatsApp application on your phone and tap the three-dotted icon on the top right side of the screen to access settings from the menu.
- Navigate the settings screen to find Chats. Open and then click on Chat Backup on the screen.
- Once the Chat Backup screen appears, tap on the Back-Up button to create a copy of your WhatsApp chats to the internal storage of your phone.
If you need to back up the videos, remember to check the ‘include videos, box and ensure the device has enough storage to accommodate the data.
You can also prevent WhatsApp from backing up your chats to Google Drive. In this case, you should choose your backup frequency to “never.” You will then proceed to tap on the Backup button to begin the process of backing up your WhatsApp data to the local internal storage. You will have the latest WhatsApp chats backup on your phone.
To restore the WhatsApp chats backup using the local backup, you need to uninstall or delete the WhatsApp application from your phone and then reinstall.
- Launch the new WhatsApp application on your phone and tap agree, and continue to begin the set-up process.
- Enter your phone number on the next screen and then use the 6- digit code sent to verify. The device can as well automatically detect the verification code from the messaging app.
- The application will further detect the local backup and prompt you to restore it. Tap on the restore option to get all your recent WhatsApp chats.
Part 2: Restore WhatsApp from earlier backup if the newest backup is overwritten.
If you had not backed up the recent WhatsApp chats on your phone before deleting the application, you could still restore from a previous local backup. The following process with get you done.
- Step1: Open your file management application on your android phone to access the internal storage or SD card if you had saved the local backup here.
- Step2: Open the WhatsApp folder, then go to Databases Folder to find the most recent WhatsApp backup file. The files in this folder are named, including the date of the backup.
- Step3: After selecting the most recent dated file, remove its date. For instance, a file named in ‘msgstore-yyyy-mm-dd.1.db.crypt12’ format should be changed to ‘msgstore.db.crypt12’. The backup extension can always vary, but you are not supposed to remove the crypt extension number.
- Now download the WhatsApp application from the Google play store and choose to set up using the required procedure, and chose to restore WhatsApp from local backup when prompted.
Part 3: Use MobileTrans to backup WhatsApp to your computer to avoid data loss
If you use WhatsApp to exchange confidential messages and files, you will not want to lose them. Since unexpected events might occur that might lead to WhatsApp data loss, it is advisable to back up everything to a computer. There are many ways to achieve this task regardless of whether you use android or iOS devices.
The possible methods you can use to backup WhatsApp chats to a computer include:
Email chat feature.
Transferring directly from the phone memory.
Using a tool called MobileTrans.
MobileTrans is seemingly the easiest way to backup WhatsApp content, including messages, images, videos, and other attachments to a computer with one click. Below is a brief highlight of the software.
MobileTrans comes with a couple of features to perform different WhatsApp tasks for both android and iOS devices. Besides transferring WhatsApp data from your phone to the computer, MobileTrans can perform WhatsApp transfer from one phone to another, transfer other content on other social media apps, and restore everything with some clicks.
MobileTrans allows WhatsApp users to transfer content selectively. The software is compatible with various types of data, including messages, audio, videos, messages, and more. You can perfectly transfer to any version of android and iOS device. Transferring to a computer or another device only requires one click hence saving your time. Besides, you do not have to worry about your privacy because MobileTrans will always keep your chat history safe. The tool can also restore the WhatsApp backup to your phone conveniently. In the process of restoring WhatsApp data, MobileTrans does not overwrite the existing data on your phone.
The following steps will guide you on transferring your WhatsApp from your android device to the computer using MobileTrans – WhatsApp Transfer. The method is safe, easy, and does not require an internet connection to achieve the task.
- Step1: Visit the MobileTrans official website to download the setup on your computer or Mac. Install the software following the on-screen instructions. After successful installation, launch the application and then connect your phone using a working USB cable.
- Step2: When the program opens, click on the WhatsApp transfer option from the available modules. Proceed to click on the "Phone to Phone" tab located on the left side of the menu. A list of functionalities will appear, including Phone transfer, WhatsApp transfer, WhatsApp Business Transfer, LINE Transfer and more, which you will use to execute your WhatsApp data.
- Step3: Switch to the "Backup&Restore" modules, choose the "Backup&Restore" option and let the software detect the WhatsApp data on the connected phone. Click the start button to initiate the backup process.
- Step4: Wait as the backup progresses to completion. Soon after WhatsApp data is backed up successfully, you will receive success notification on the screen.
- Step5: If you want to view the WhatsApp data loaded into the pc, click on the "view it" button appearing on the screen. Clicking on the "ok" button will end the process. Ensure you are clear on using the above procedure to backup your WhatsApp data to a computer successfully. The method is reliable since it does not involve issues with data loss or breach your privacy.
The following section provides a precise comparison of MobileTrans – WhatsApp transfer with other methods to back up WhatsApp data to a computer, i.e., exporting directly from phone memory and the email chat feature. The comparison is based on various elements as described below.
Process time for the transfer: MobileTrans – WhatsApp transfer is the fastest and precise method to transfer WhatsApp data. Exporting from phone memory is slower than the MobileTrans tool but faster than the email chat feature. Email chat is a complicated process and not preferable for most WhatsApp users.
Reliability: MobileTrans and email chat are reliable methods because the WhatsApp messages are readable after transferring to a computer. When you export directly from phone memory, the chats are not readable because the file format is incompatible. You need a WhatsApp backup extractor to convert the files into a readable format.
Transfer rate: MobileTrans tool sends bulk content with a single click, seemingly time-saving and efficient. Exporting directly from the phone memory is relatively fast than the email chat feature, which sends only a single chat at a time.
Data loss: MobileTrans tool does not involve any data loss issues whatsoever or compromise the chat history. The email chat feature also has rare cases of data loss. On the other hand, exporting WhatsApp data directly from phone memory can sometimes have data loss events.
Prior knowledge: When using the MobileTrans - WhatsApp transfer tool, you are provided with an easy follow the wizard to guide you through the transfer process. You don’t need to have prior knowledge because the instructions are unique and clear. Email chat feature requires you to be familiar with the WhatsApp environment and its controls. When exporting WhatsApp data directly from the phone memory, you need to know the location of the content and controls in your computer.
Following the discussions in the above content, you can easily restore your old WhatsApp chats in case you skipped to restore. The methods are described in detail to help you achieve the task with convenience. You only need to pay attention to the approach to ensure you get all your desired messages from the local storage. And if you are looking to backup your WhatsApp content to a computer, MobileTrans WhatsApp transfer is an incredible tool to help you achieve the task conveniently. The steps involved during the backup process are precise and straightforward. Furthermore, you don’t have to worry about the safety of your data.