How to Check If Someone Else Is Accessing Your WhatsApp Account?
Written By Axel Nash |
Whatsapp already has a few additional security measures that they have put in place to prevent other individuals from accessing your account such as the Two-Factor authentication feature that they have.
Despite Whatsapp’s attempt at securing our privacy, there are still individuals out there who try to do their best to be able to access other people’s Whatsapp accounts. There are multiple reasons as to why they do this but we want to help you find out the telltales or signs to check if someone else can access your account.
Part 1: Signs Your Account is Compromised
Part 1: Signs Your Account is Compromised
If you notice any weird activities or behaviors in your Whatsapp account, then you will have a suspicion that someone else can access your Whatsapp account. We will share with you some telltale signs that your account has been compromised or that someone else can access your account.
- Sign# 1: Your friends have told you that they received spam or phishing links from your Whatsapp account. Hackers who have access to other people’s Whatsapp accounts tend to send a lot of spam to that user’s contact lists.
- Sign# 2: You received random messages from contacts that you did not add yourself. Hackers will sometimes add other contacts using your Whatsapp account and if you receive any messages from a contact you are unaware of, someone else may be accessing your Whatsapp account.
- Sign# 3: Your contact information was changed. While looking through your profile, you noticed that there were some changes to your account details. For example, they could have changed your display photo, your name, or your status.
Part 2: How to Tell If Someone Else Is Using Your WhatsApp Account?
Now that you have your suspicion that someone has hacked into your Whatsapp account, you can try the numerous tips that we will share below to double-check whether your account has been accessed by someone else.
Tip# 1: Check your contacts for any new friends
A sign that your account could have been accessed by someone else is that there are new friends added to your contact list that you do not know of. You can go to your contacts and check to see who are the ones you did not add or is unheard of. If there are any new friends that you did not add yourself, then there is a possibility that someone else has access to your Whatsapp account.
Tip# 2: Check your chat messages
Check your recent chat messages and see if there are any messages that you do not remember sending yourself. By checking this, you will be able to know if someone else is trying to send any messages to your contacts without your knowledge.
Tip# 3: Check your Whatsapp Web
If you have already checked your contacts and messages but still suspect that someone else is able to access your Whatsapp account, you can try to see if the hacker is using your Whatsapp Web. Follow the steps below to check your Whatsapp Web:
- Step 1: Go to “Settings” which is located as three dots on the upper right of the screen.
- Step 2: Then, select “Whatsapp Web” from the options. If your camera opens, it means that no one has access to your Whatsapp Web and it will ask you the scan the QR code that is generated from the Whatsapp Web on your computer.
- Step 3: Scan the QR code that is generated in your browser and you should be able to log in to WhatsApp on WhatsApp Web.
Tip# 4: Check your contact information
Another way to check whether you have been hacked is to check if they have updated your profile information. You can check this by going to “Settings” and selecting “Profile”. From there, you can review and check the accuracy of the information for your Whatsapp account.
Part 3: How to Secure Your WhatsApp Account?
Now that you have checked your Whatsapp account using the tips we shared. There are only two possibilities after your investigation. First would be that your Whatsapp account has been hacked and try to change your password immediately as soon as you find out. However, the other possibility is that no one has the access to your account and during this time, you can still have additional security for your Whatsapp account to prevent someone else from accessing it by enabling a Two-Factor Authentication. Here are the steps to enable this additional security.
- Step 1: Open Whatsapp and go to the “Settings”.
- Step 2: Then, you can tap on “Account”.
- Step 3: After, choose “Two-step Verification” and make sure that you tap on “Enabled”.
- Step 4: They will then ask you to type a 6-Digit PIN code and then, you can tap on “Next”.
Once you finished setting up the Two-Factor Authentication, you will then be asked to type the 6-Digit PIN code every time you open your Whatsapp. This will give you more security and feel more at ease that no one can access your account aside from yourself
Can we Safely Transfer WhatsApp From Android to iPhone?
Transferring your WhatsApp data from one device to another is safe – as long as the transfer tool that you are using is provided by a trustworthy provider. Here we recommend a safe and reliable software - MobileTrans. Moving WhatsApp data between different types of phones can be hard. But MobileTrans makes WhatsApp transfer between OS as easy as ABC.
We hope that all of these tips have been very helpful in checking whether your Whatsapp account has been compromised. Make sure to also enable the Two-Factor Authentication for additional security of your account.