We all use WhatsApp to chat with our friends, family, colleagues, and other contacts. Though, there are times when we don’t want others to access our WhatsApp chats since they can be pretty private. In this case, you can just learn how to hide chats in WhatsApp with a password or can just archive them.
To do this, you can use the native feature of WhatsApp or just try any third-party app as well. Read on as in this ultimate guide, I will teach you how to hide WhatsApp chats on iPhone and Android in every possible way.
Part 1: Hide WhatsApp Chats on Android/iPhone With the Archive Feature
To start with, let’s discuss the native solution to hide WhatsApp chats on both iPhone and Android. Ideally, you can move any WhatsApp conversation to its archive. In this way, the chat would still be there on your WhatsApp, but you can’t access it the usual way and have to visit its archives. To learn how to hide chats in iPhone/Android via the archive feature, just follow these steps:
Archive WhatsApp Chats on iPhone
1. If you have an iPhone, then just launch WhatsApp on your device and select the chat you wish to hide.
2. Swipe left the chat you wish to save and go to its more options. From here, just tap on the “Archive” option to move it to WhatsApp Archives. You can also select multiple chats and move them to archive in one go.
3. To access these hidden chats, launch WhatsApp and scroll all the way up. Here, you can find the Archived Chats option above the search bar.
4. Simply tap on the Archived Chats option to view the hidden conversations. Swipe left the conversation and tap on the “Unarchive” button to make it visible on your WhatsApp home.
Archive WhatsApp Chats on Android
1. Simply launch WhatsApp on your Android and hold the chat icon you wish to save. You can select multiple chats and group threads from here.
2. Once you make the needed selections, just tap on the archive icon at the top-right corner of the screen.
3. To access your saved chats, launch WhatsApp and scroll at the bottom. Now, you can tap on the “Archived Chats” button here.
4. Select the conversations you wish to unhide and tap on the un-archive icon to move them to your WhatsApp home again.
Part 2: Hide Chats in WhatsApp without Archive
As you can see, with the archive features of WhatsApp, we can hide or unhide chats whenever we want. Though, a lot of people want to learn how to hide chats in WhatsApp without an archive as the feature is known by others. In this case, you can use a third-party app like GBWhatsApp on Android to hide your chats. It is a tweaked version of WhatsApp that offers tons of advanced features.
In case you have an iPhone, then you need to first jailbreak your device to use a tweaked app like this. It is recommended to be careful while using a WhatsApp tweak, as your account might get suspended if you get caught by WhatsApp. To learn how to hide chats in WhatsApp without archive, just follow these steps:
1. Firstly, go to your device’s Settings > Security and enable app installation from unknown sources. Uninstall WhatsApp from your Android and go to the official website of GBWhatsApp to download the app.
2. Launch the GBWhatsApp app on your phone and enter the existing phone number that is linked to your WhatsApp. Verify it by entering the one-time password and accessing the advanced features of WhatsApp.
3. Simply select the chats that you wish to hide and tap on the more options (the three-dot) icon from the top. From here, just tap on the “Hide” option.
4. Now, a pattern screen will be displayed for you to implement the lock code for the hidden chats. Make sure that the pattern is different from the phone’s lock screen and that you would remember it.
5. To view the hidden chats, you can launch the GBWhatsApp app and tap on the WhatsApp icon on the top-left corner.
6. Verify the pattern lock for the hidden chats and view all the saved conversations here. You can select any chat here, tap on the hamburger (three-dot) icon at the top and choose the “Mark as Unread” option. This would unhide the selected chats and send them to WhatsApp home.
Part 3: How to Lock All WhatsApp Chats?
The above methods would be ideal to hide or archive individual chats. If you are concerned about your privacy, then you should lock all WhatsApp chats instead. There are numerous devices these days with a feature to lock any app with a code or fingerprint. Recently, even WhatsApp has rolled out the option to lock the app with our fingerprint for Android devices. Therefore, you can take the assistance of this native feature or even use a third-party app locker.
1. If you want, you can just go to the Play Store and download any app locker. For instance, ChatLock+ is a popular app that you can try to lock WhatsApp.
2. After installing, launch the ChatLock+ app and turn on the option to lock WhatsApp from here. Just be sure that you have given the app the needed permissions in advance.
3. Enter a unique 4-digit PIN that would work as a lock for WhatsApp. Now, every time you open WhatsApp, you need to enter the pin and can protect your chats from intruders.
4. Alternatively, if you have an Android phone that supports fingerprint scan, then launch an updated version of WhatsApp on it.
5. Go to its Settings > Privacy > Fingerprint Lock and turn on the feature to unlock WhatsApp with the fingerprint. From here, you can choose to automatically lock WhatsApp after a selected duration as well.
Part 4: Backup WhatsApp Data in One-click
Our WhatsApp chats can be extremely important to us and have professional or personal details. Therefore, you should make a regular practice of taking WhatsApp backup to your computer. To do this, take the assistance of a reliable tool like MobileTrans. A powerful application, it can take a complete backup of your WhatsApp data with a single click. This includes your chats, media files, contacts, voice notes, stickers, and every other WhatsApp data. Apart from that, you can also restore WhatsApp chats or transfer them from one device to another as well.
1. To backup WhatsApp data, just connect your phone to the system and launch the MobileTrans on it. From its home, launch the "Backup & Restore" feature.
2. Now, go to the App Backup & Restore section and click on the Backup button and then choose to Back up WhatsApp.
3. Click on the Start button to begin backing up your WhatsApp data to the computer. When the process is completed, you will be notified by MobileTrans. You can now remove your device or even view the backup.
4. If needed, you can connect your device and choose the option to restore WhatsApp chats later on.
There you go! After reading this guide on how to hide WhatsApp chats, you must be able to keep your private chats secure. For your convenience, we have listed solutions on how to hide chats in WhatsApp with and without archive.
Apart from that, if you wish to keep your WhatsApp data safe, then use MobileTrans. There are both Android and iOS versions of this desktop tool that you can install on your Windows/Mac and backup your WhatsApp chats with a single click. It can also restore WhatsApp backup or directly transfer WhatsApp data from one phone to another.