How to Transfer WhatsApp from iPhone to Samsung S20
Written By Axel Nash | Mar 19,2020
This is a query recently posted by a Samsung S20 user on Quora on how to transfer WhatsApp chat history from iPhone to Samsung. Needless to say, if you have also got a new Samsung S20 and are switching from an iPhone, then you can encounter a similar situation. The good news is that there are several third-party solutions that can help us perform iPhone to Samsung WhatsApp transfer. Since the native WhatsApp backup for iPhone to Samsung won’t work, let’s explore these solutions in detail to transfer your WhatsApp data.
Part 1: Can Samsung Smart Switch move WhatsApp from iPhone to Samsung S20?
Most of the people think that Smart Switch can help them transfer WhatsApp data from iPhone to Samsung. Ideally, Smart Switch is the native application developed by Samsung to move data from an old iPhone/Android to a Samsung. While the application can move your documents, media files, contacts, messages, call logs, etc. it fails to transfer WhatsApp data. This is because the coding of WhatsApp backup on iPhone is vastly different than that on Samsung.
Nevertheless, if you want to give it a try and perform iPhone to Samsung WhatsApp transfer using Smart Switch, you can follow these steps:
- Firstly, you need to take a backup of your WhatsApp data on your iCloud account. To do this, go to your iPhone’s iCloud settings and enable the iCloud backup option for WhatsApp.
- Afterward, install Smart Switch on your S20 and launch it. From the welcome screen, choose to restore data from an iOS device and import data from iCloud.
- Now, you just need to log-in to the same iCloud account where your backup is saved and select the backup content. Maintain a stable internet connection and wait for a while as your backup would be restored.
Part 2: How to Transfer WhatsApp from iPhone to Samsung S20 with MobileTrans - WhatsApp Transfer
As you can see, Smart Switch is not an ideal solution to transfer WhatsApp from iPhone to Samsung. Therefore, to have an effortless WhatsApp transfer from iPhone to Samsung, you can take the assistance of MobileTrans. Developed by Wondershare, it provides a one-click iPhone to Samsung WhatsApp transfer feature. This will move your WhatsApp chats, attachments, group info, and all the other related WhatsApp data. You can move WhatsApp content between iPhone and iPhone, Android and Android, or even iPhone and Android (with no compatibility issues).
MobileTrans supports 6000+ different devices, which includes leading iOS and Samsung models (including S20). To learn how to transfer WhatsApp chat history from iPhone to Samsung using MobileTrans, the following steps can be taken:
- Launch the MobileTrans - WhatsApp Transfer tool. Firstly, install MobileTrans on your Mac or Windows system and launch it to transfer your data. From its home, select the WhatsApp Transfer module to launch the dedicated tool.
- Mark the source and the target device
- Perform iPhone to Samsung WhatsApp transfer
- Simply launch WhatsApp on your iPhone and select the chat you wish to save. Swipe it and tap on More Option > Email Chat. You can also open the chat, go to its More Options > Email Chat as well.
- Subsequently, you can select if you wish to include media content or exclude it in the email. Since most of the email servers have a limit on the size of attachments, it is recommended to exclude media files here.
- Lastly, enter your own email id and let the chats be attached to the mail before sending it. You can now access the email on your S20 and read your saved chats on your new smartphones.
- Using a working lightning cable, connect your iPhone to the system and launch iTunes on it. Afterward, go to its Summary > Backups > Backup Up Now and select the option to backup your data on the computer.
- After when the iTunes backup is taken on your Windows PC, install the WazzapMigrator extractor on the system. Now, select the relevant iTunes backup and extract the WhatsApp data from it.
- Once the WhatsApp backup has been extracted, you can choose to upload it to your Google Drive. Make sure it is the same Google account that is linked to your S20 device.
- If you have extracted the backup on the local storage, then connect your Samsung phone to the system. Now, look for the “ChatStorage.sqlite” file from the iTunes extractor and copy it to the Downloads folder on your S20.
- That’s it! Once the backup file has been moved to your S20, you can install and launch the WazzapMigrator app on it. Using it, you can extract the WhatsApp data, unlock it, and save it on your Samsung. Afterward, just reinstall WhatsApp and choose to restore data from the newly extracted backup.
This will further provide different options to backup, restore, and transfer WhatsApp content. Click on the “Transfer WhatsApp Messages” option and make sure that your iOS and Samsung phones are connected to the system using working cables.
Once the application would detect the connected devices, it will mark them as either source or destination. As we have to transfer WhatsApp from iPhone to Samsung, iPhone should the source and Samsung the destination device. If this is not the case, then use the Flip button to correct it.
That’s it! After when both the devices are placed correctly, you can click on the “Start” button and wait for the WhatsApp transfer process to be completed. You will be notified when the WhatsApp transfer from iPhone to Samsung will be finished. You can now disconnect your Samsung S20 safely and launch WhatsApp to restore the newly transferred backup data on it.
Part 3: Other Ways to Transfer WhatsApp from iPhone to Samsung S20
There are a few other solutions that you can implement to transfer WhatsApp from iPhone to Samsung. Although these methods are not as simple as MobileTrans, you can try them nevertheless if you have enough time or sources.
Method 1: Email Chats to Yourself
In this, we would ideally take a WhatsApp backup from iPhone to Samsung of selected chats instead of restoring the data. Since WhatsApp allows us to email individual chats, you can save them on your Samsung phone and access them later on. Please note that this will not let you extract the mailed chats on WhatsApp, but would only let you view your chats later on.
Method 2: Take WhatsApp Backup on iPhone and Restore it to Samsung
This is one of the most complicated ways to transfer WhatsApp data from iPhone to Samsung. In this, we will first take a backup of WhatsApp data on iTunes and will later extract WhatsApp content from it. Later, you can use the WazzapMigrator app to extract the iOS WhatsApp backup on your Samsung phone. To learn how to transfer WhatsApp chat history from iPhone to Samsung using its backup, follow these steps:
There you go! Now when you know multiple ways to transfer WhatsApp from iPhone to Samsung, you can easily switch your phones with no data loss. Since the manual approach has a low success rate, you can use a professional iPhone to Samsung WhatsApp transfer tool like MobileTrans. With just one click, it will let you directly transfer WhatsApp data from iPhone to Samsung. Additionally, it can also let you backup and restore data of popular social apps like WhatsApp, Kik, LINE, Viber, and WeChat.
- Transfer data between Android, iOS and Windows phone.
- Move contacts, photos, music, videos, canlenda, voice mail and more from one phone to another.
- Compatible with 6000+ mobile phones including iPhone, Smasung, HTC, Huawei, Xiaomi and more.
- Work with Android 9.0 and iOS 13.