How to Transfer WhatsApp Data from Android to Android
Written By Nicola Massimo |
This is a recent query posted by a concerned Android user on an interactive forum. Truth to be told – numerous other users also wish to know how to transfer WhatsApp data from Android to Android as well.
The good news is that we can easily move our WhatsApp chats from one device to another without any data loss. To do this, you can try either of its inbuilt options or any other third-party solution.
Method 1: Transfer WhatsApp Data from Android to Android via MobileTrans - WhatsApp Transfer
If you wish to overcome that and perform a direct device-to-device WhatsApp transfer, then take the assistance of MobileTrans - WhatsApp Transfer. Developed by Wondershare, it lets us directly transfer WhatsApp chats and attachments between Android and Android, iPhone and iPhone, and even iPhone and Android.
Transfer WhatsApp from Android to Android with 1 Click!
- • Transfer WhatsApp to a new Android phone with a single click.
- • Back up WhatsApp data and restore it selectively to an Android.
- • Backup and restore other apps like WeChat, Line, Kik, and Viber.
- • Transfer data fast and secure without overwriting data.
- • Supports over 6000+ Android devices. Works for all models of iPhone, iPad, and iPod.
To learn how to transfer WhatsApp to a new Android phone with a single click, follow these steps:
1. Install the application and launch the MobileTrans on your computer. From its home, launch the option to "WhatsApp Transfer" under the "Phone to Phone" tab.
2. Using working cables, connect your new and old Android devices to the system and let MobileTrans detect them. It will provide a snapshot of both the devices and would mark them as either source or destination.
3. In case if the source and target devices are listed incorrectly, click on the flip button to change their places. Now, click on the “Start Transfer” button to directly move your WhatsApp data.
4. Simply wait for a few minutes as MobileTrans would move the WhatsApp chats and attachments from your old to new Android device. Try not to close the application or disconnect the devices in between.
5. After a while, the transfer would be completed and you will be notified. Disconnect the device and launch WhatsApp on it. The application will automatically detect the local backup and would let you restore it.
6. Check our video tutorial below:
Method 2: Transfer WhatsApp Data from Android to Android via Local Backup
This is one of the easiest ways to learn how to transfer WhatsApp data from Android to Android. Ideally, WhatsApp automatically takes a backup of its chats on the local storage every day. Therefore, you can just copy the local backup file and move it to your new Android device. While setting up your WhatsApp account, you can just restore the existing backup. Though, this method will only work if you are using the same phone number on both devices.
1. To start with, go to WhatsApp on your previous device and visit its Settings by tapping on the hamburger (three dots) icon on the top.
2. Go to its Chats > Chat Backup feature and tap on the “Backup” button to take an immediate backup of your data. Once the backup has been taken, log out of your account or remove WhatsApp from the device.
3. Now, browse the local storage (or the SD card) of your device and locate the recent backup under the “WhatsApp” folder. Copy this file and move it to the local storage’s WhatsApp > Databases folder of your new Android device.
4. Install WhatsApp on your target Android and perform its initial setup while entering the same phone number. If you are already using WhatsApp on it, then you need to reinstall it.
5. The application will automatically detect the local WhatsApp backup stored on the device and will inform you. Just tap on the “Restore” button to get back your chats on the new device.
- Free solution
- A bit complicated
- The entire WhatsApp backup would be restored
- The same phone number should be used
Method 3: Transfer WhatsApp Data from Android to Android via Google Drive Backup
Just like the local storage, you can also maintain a copy of your WhatsApp backup on Google Drive as well. WhatsApp also lets us enable the automatic backup feature and select its frequency as daily, weekly, or monthly. In this way, you can always have a second copy of your WhatsApp data and won’t suffer from any unforeseen loss. To learn how to transfer WhatsApp data from Android to Android via Google Drive backup, follow these steps:
- Firstly, launch WhatsApp on your old phone and go to its Settings > Chats > Chat Backup.
- Under the “Accounts” option, make sure that you are logged in to your Google account. If not, just tap on it and sign in to your Google account. Now, tap on the “Backup” button to take an immediate backup. You can choose to include or exclude videos in the backup from here.
- Furthermore, under the Backup to Google Drive feature, you can set a frequency for automatic backup. It can be daily, weekly, monthly, or any custom choice.
- After when the backup has been saved on Google Drive, remove WhatsApp from your device and install it on the target phone instead. Make sure that your new Android is also linked to the same Google account beforehand.
- The application will automatically detect the presence of the WhatsApp backup on Google Drive and would inform you. Click on the “Restore” button and wait as your WhatsApp chats and attachments would be extracted.
- Compatibility issues
- The entire backup would be restored
Method 4: Transfer WhatsApp Data from Android to Android via Changing Number Feature
A lot of people also get a new number while switching from one device to another. Thankfully, there is a smart feature on WhatsApp that lets us change the registered number on the app. In this way, you can easily transfer your WhatsApp data to the new device while changing your number. Though, make sure that both the numbers should be active to make this switch in advance. Also, you need to first change the number on your old phone and later use the same SIM on the new device. To learn how to restore WhatsApp messages on new Android by changing its number, follow these steps:
- Attach your new SIM to your existing Android device and make sure that you can receive texts on it. After that, open WhatsApp on your old device and go to its Settings > Accounts > Change Number.
- Agree to the terms and conditions and enter the old as well as the new phone number on their respective fields. A one-time generated code will be sent to the new phone number that you need to enter to verify the switch.
- Great! Once the switch has been made, just go to your WhatsApp Settings > Chats > Chat Backup and take a backup on Google Drive or the local storage.
- In the end, mount the SIM on the new Android device and install WhatsApp on it. Make sure that the backup is moved or the device is connected to the same Google account. Launch WhatsApp and restore the existing backup to it the usual way.
- Lets us change the registered number on WhatsApp
- Complicated to implement
- No direct data transfer
- No preview available
|Local Backup||MobileTrans - WhatsApp Transfer||Google Backup||Changing Number feature|
|Features||Takes the backup on the local device storage that is later moved||Directly transfers WhatsApp data from one device to another. It can also backup and restore WhatsApp data.||Takes the backup of WhatsApp data on Google Drive and later restores it||Allows us to change the linked phone number and later take a backup|
|Ease of use||Medium||Easy||Medium||Complicated|
|Other features||No||Can backup and restore other social apps too||No||No|
|Selective transfer of data||No||Yes||No||No|
That’s a wrap, everyone! I’m sure that this guide on how to transfer WhatsApp to a new Android phone would have certainly helped you. From the above comparison, you can clearly see that MobileTrans - WhatsApp Transfer provides an ideal solution to transfer WhatsApp from one device to another seamlessly. It is also compatible with numerous other apps and would let you switch to your new phone with no data loss. Go ahead and give it a try and feel free to share this guide with others to teach them how to restore WhatsApp messages on the new Android as well.