If you wish to know more about it, look no further, you are at the best place. This post will give you everything you should know about Dynamic Island. If you are wondering why there is a need for Dynamic Island, read on!
What is Dynamic Island?
Ever wondered why Apple introduced Dynamic Island? The only thing that Apple was dissatisfied with was its notch.
The mobile industry was set to increase screen space and discard all unnecessary elements. And iPhone was the last device with a notch. Even Apple tried not to reveal the notch in packaging and promos.
Before Apple announced the release of the iPhone 14, we all gathered that something new was coming, exclusively for the iPhone 14 series. A notch designed afresh that appears like a pill-shape cutout for housing the TrueDepth camera.
And the newly released notch is known as the Dynamic Island, exclusive to iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max. A pill-like area that can alter its shape and size to display alerts, interactions, notifications, etc.
All in all, it acts more like an advanced information hub.
How to Use Dynamic Island
Apple has upgraded its notch to an advanced level. The notch housing the TrueDepth Camera has evolved into something bigger and is certainly the main attraction. Known as Dynamic Island, it houses the camera and acts as an information hub showing all the key alerts.
Dynamic Island can display all the necessary background and active tasks. Here are some of the major functions of the Dynamic Island:
- AirPods Connection: When you connect your AirPods to your iPhone, the Dynamic Island expands and displays the connection
- Charging Status: Even if you put your iPhone on a charge, Dynamic Island will be expanded and will share the charging status.
- Face ID: If you wish to unlock your device through facial recognition or to make an 0n-app purchase, the Dynamic Island expands and displays a confirmation
- Incoming Phone Call: Dynamic Island will notify you when someone calls you. Dynamic Island uses the IOS Call Kit. It will tell you whether someone calls you on your number or via a third-party application like WhatsApp. Tap twice to expand
- Map Navigation: If you wish to use Apple Maps for navigation, you may minimize it. Dynamic Island will give you directions.
- Music Playback: Using any media apps will automatically be minimized in Dynamic Island. Not just media apps; it works the same with radio, podcast apps, and Apple Fitness. Double tap to expand
Can Third-party Tools Make Use of Dynamic Island?
you might be wondering if this newly designed notch will support third-party apps. Can Dynamic Island work with third-party applications? Yes, not only Apple's owned applications but also third-party applications can use it.
Truly, the Dynamic Island is an awesome feature, and certainly, Apple is allowing third-party app developers to take full advantage of this. From games to other applications can use this feature.
For instance, media apps like Spotify and YouTube are among the most popular third-party applications. Playing content in any of these two platforms will be minimized automatically in Dynamic Island.
You can track current live activities and let you monitor events as they happen straight from the Lock Screen. For instance, if you're watching a sporting event, you can check the most recent score on the Lock Screen, or if you're waiting for an Uber, you can keep an eye out for your driver.
What's the Good and Bad about iPhone Dynamic Island?
Every new feature has its own set of advantages and disadvantages. We have enlisted all the pros and cons of this feature; read on:
Pros of Dynamic Island
- When in full-screen mode, the Dynamic Island does not eat up the space: In previous models, the notch eats up the screen, but this does not happen in the case of iPhone 14 Pro
- Motion language is incredible: The transitions are amazing. If you are a first-time user, it will leave an excellent impression
- Offer better visibility of activities and ongoing tasks: Dynamic Island brings a new UI feature. This helps get notifications and another key alert without switching over contexts.
Cons of Dynamic Island
- Located in a part that is hard to reach: Since Dynamic Island is located at the extreme top of the screen, users will have to stretch out their fingers to access it. This also makes the interaction a bit discomforting
- Loads of fingerprints on the face camera: As the front camera is incorporated into Dynamic Island, the face camera will receive fingerprints whenever you tap on a notification or an alert. This, in turn, will result in blurry selfies and videos.
- Full-screen video is not that great: Dynamic Island does not eat space in full-screen mode, but this does not improve the full-screen experience. You will constantly be focusing on hole cutouts of the Dynamic Island
- It can be annoying: Each time the notch is activated, it will catch your eye. In case of overuse, one can be quickly disappointed with this feature. Animated transitions have always been very attention-grabbing.
So, that is about Dynamic Island, exclusively on iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max. This brand-new notch is put forward as a solution to the issues Apple faces now. All in all, Dynamic Island is a great feature, but will it bring along a revolution in the world of product design? What do you think?